The Sacrament of First Communion is for students in our Religious Education Program and Parish School.
Preparation for First Communion involves gatherings and formation opportunities designed to deepen both the parent and child understanding of the Sacrament of Eucharist as well as enabling parents to guide their child into gaining greater understanding and meaning of the Eucharist in their daily lives.
This sacrament is usually celebrated with the family in the month of April or May – SEE SCHEDULE BELOW!
If you would like information regarding this sacrament, please contact Ruthanne Swiatkowski, Director of Religious Education at 708-453-2555 ext. 17 / firstname.lastname@example.org or Mary Morvay, Coordinator of Religious Education at 708-453-5719 / email@example.com.
First Communion Celebrations 2020
- NEW DATES DUE TO PANDEMIC
Saturday, August 29 at 10 AM and 1 PM at St. Cyprian Church for Religious Education Students (Mrs. DiPaolo & Ms. Downing-King’s Classes)
Saturday, September 12 at 11 AM at St. Celestine Church for St. Celestine School Students (Ms. Crimmins and Mrs. Petri’s Classes)
Saturday, September 19 at 11 AM at St. Celestine Church for St. Celestine Religious Education Students (Mrs. Joost, Ms. Sheahan and Mrs. Schweitzer’s Classes)
- GUIDELINES – Due to the following guidelines / restrictions from the Archdiocese of Chicago and the State of Illinois, social distancing and wearing a mask are required. A limited number of people are allowed in the church. Therefore, each First Communicant will be allowed 4 family member/guests. Families will be seated in assigned pews with rows vacant in between to provide social distancing. This is the same seating arrangement that is now in place for the parish’s Sunday Masses. The First Communion Catechetical Staff will have additional details for you which will be communicated within the next few months. We all want to make this a very special day for our First Communicants.
- SIGN-UP FORM FOR THE FIRST COMMUNION CELEBRATIONS – Each family is asked to sign up with the names of the First Communicant and family members/guests using Signup Genius (CLICK HERE). This is the same process the parish is using to attend Sunday Mass and is required from the Archdiocese of Chicago. You may begin to sign up at this time; the deadline is August 20 for the St. Cyprian site and August 31 for the St. Celestine site.
- VIDEOTAPING AND PICTURES – All of the First Communion Masses will be videotaped and pictures will be taken of the First Communicants. All families will receive a DVD, a group picture (composite of all students) and an individual picture of the First Communicant. The photographer and Ruthanne Swiatkowski will be providing you with additional details about our procedures within the next few weeks that are within the social distancing guidelines that all must follow.
- REHEARSALS – There will not be a separate rehearsal for First Communion as in the past due to the current health situation. However, each child/family will have a reserved row; you will check in and parishioner volunteers will escort your group when you arrive on your assigned day. You will be notified as to what time all must arrive to the church and be seated.
The Sacramental Fee is $65 which covers Sacramental materials and certificates for First Reconciliation and First Communion and First Communion pictures.
The Sacramental Fee is due on or before January 31, 2020. Checks should be made out to St. Mother Theodore Guerin Religious Education.
Checks may be submitted or mailed to the Religious Education Office:
St. Mother Theodore Guerin Parish
St. Celestine Church – Office for Religious Education
3020 North 76th Court
Elmwood Park, Illinois 60707
What should my child wear on the day of First Communion?
For the Boys – Dress slacks with a pastel or white shirt, with a tie. The boys can wear a suit, but that is optional. The suit or sport coat does not have to be a specific color.
For the Girls – A white or pastel dress. Veils are an option.